Part 2: the mostly quite obscure
1. “a riband to stick in his coat”
2. “the palm of possession is dreary”
3. “For thus the royal mandate ran,
When first the human race began,
‘The social, friendly, honest man,
whate'er he be –
‘Tis he fulfils great Nature’s plan
And none but he.”
5. “roaming with a hungry heart”.
6. “The genius raids, but the common people occupy and possess”.
7. “Ye would not call this too indulged tongue
Presumptuous, in thus venturing to be heard.”
9. “A sweet disorder in the dress.”
10. “The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they alone knew everything. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unwomanly in speech, behaviour and dress.”
11. “Through the long gorge to the far
light has won
His path upward, and prevail’d.”
Each on the ruin of a human breast –
That to the shrine the victor’s chariot rolls
Across the anguish of ten thousand souls!”
Is ever the wind.”
14.. “True to the kindred points”
15. “And we run, because we like it.”
16. “We were young, we were merry, we were very very wise …”
17.. Business in deep waters.
In what publication can you find all of the above effectively invoked?