Call for Papers: reminder
Deadline for abstracts: 1 December 2017
Explorations of Islands in Scottish Literature and Culture
29 June–1 July 2018, Sabhal Mòr Ostaig, Isle of Skye
This conference will investigate the many portrayals, both historical and contemporary, of the rich, distinctive cultures of the Scottish islands or islands with Scottish connections through poetry and song, fiction and non-fiction, drama, film, art and music.
We invite submissions of abstracts concerning works from all periods which explore any aspect of island experience, from any methodological angle. Papers on contemporary interdisciplinary projects which blend island traditions and artistic experiment to create new works and new ways of living on the islands are also encouraged.
Paper topics could include but are not limited to:
• representations of past and present Scottish island life and culture
• growing up on islands in Scottish literature
• creative and aesthetic approaches to representing Scottish islands
• environments, economies and contemporary change
• Scottish islands’ vulnerabilities and resilience
• the languages of Scottish islands
• archipelagic comparisons: Scottish islands/archipelagos and islands/archipelagos across the world
Please send abstracts (not more than 300 words) for papers of 30 minutes in length to
by 1 December 2017. Abstract submission should include a brief biography and institutional affiliation.