Sunday 23 February 2014

A sentence in English


(They don’t write them like this any more…)

“Notwithstanding the extreme salubrity of the atmosphere with which in this justly celebrated locality she is surrounded, and I trust I may venture to add the unremitting attention she has experienced both at my own hands and those of my medical and educational assistants, her general health is still, I regret to say, very far from having attained to that condition of entire convalescence at which I trust she may yet, with the advantage of a prolonged residence upon the Heath, before very long arrive.”

Charles Warren Adams (Charles Felix), The Notting Hill Mystery, book first published in 1865; p.32.

(The Heath is Hampstead, and the character writing is the proprietrix of a school there.)

No comments:

Post a Comment