Monday 27 March 2017

AC's "Lovely War" Part 2

Part 2 South Africa
A. Cape Town and Onward

I can’t remember if I kept a record of the outward trip in the troopship “Andes”, but now, more than fifty years on, I can’t remember much of the details. I do know, however, that we were bound for Singapore, but while we were at sea Singapore fell to the Japanese. [AC’s chronology goes a bit askew here, see note below] As a result of this, we were diverted to Capetown, where we stayed for seven weeks, while they decided what to do with us. It was the most marvellous holiday I ever had,. We were billeted in a tented camp called Retreat Transit Camp. We had no duties to perform, and most of the time we were free to enjoy ourselves. I did start to keep a record of events in Capetown. Unfortunately, the first few pages of that record also have been lost. I think the year must have been 1942, but what month? Reading the references to the flowers in the botanical gardens makes me think it must have been summer (in the southern hemisphere, of course), and certainly my recollection of the weather bears that out.

3rd (the first date recorded)
Visited the public gardens and saw what must be the most beautiful garden in the world… It seems to me, between the flowers and the birds that this country really is the home of colour. I certainly have never seen so much colour. We went from there to the national art gallery… From there we went to the public library. A good selection of books, including some British publications, but they were of a somewhat ancient vintage. In the evening went to a dance at the “Good Cheer Club”. There I tried dancing for the first time! The victim, called Ruth, to my surprise was not unduly incapacitated. 

4th        Heavy rain, but by 0930 it had cleared away, leaving only a wraith-like shroud of mist clothing the crests of the hills. I was orderly corporal, so I stayed in all day. In the evening went with Taffy to the YMCA and had tea and cakes. Nearby in the shadow if Devil’s peak was a solitary tent, in front of the tent blazed a huge camp fire, the ruddy glow lighting up the faces of the four men who sat around it. In the distance I can hear someone playing a banjo, and a choir of lusty voiced troops singing hill billy songs. It all seems so unreal. More like the sort of thing you see on films. 


6th           Went to Muizenburg and met Ruth with whom I danced on Saturday. She went in swimming but I couldn’t – no trunks. I lay on the beach and watched. Then we went back to the Good Cheer Club, tried dancing again.

"Snake Charmer"
7th           Went to Capetown and the pictures, then to Observatory and had supper at Ruth’s home. Met her mother and sister. 

8th           Went to the museum, saw all kinds of stuffed animals as well as Hottentots and Bushmen who used to inhabit these parts. Then on to the library and on to the Soldiers’ Club to meet Jim Lowe. From there we went to the Good Cheer Club. (8th - this date twice in typescriptVisited the city park and at the entrance saw a snake charmer giving a display. From there went to a concert by the Capetown Municipal Orchestra. 

9th           Went to Capetown then to Observatory, then the cinema.

10th      Stayed in camp.

11th      Went to Capetown shortly after 10 a.m., from there to Observatory and then up to the Rhodes memorial. After that to the zoo, had tea at Ruth’s and went to church with her and her mother.

12th      Went to the Good Cheer Club and heard that a convoy had been attacked just outside the harbour. According to rumour, twelve ships have been sunk also three German subs. The survivors from our ships are at the Union Jack Club.

13th      Capetown again and a round of the clubs, first the Mayor’s Club, then the Soldiers’ Club, the Ritz Bio Café, the Union Jack Club. And then the Plaza Cinema. The town is absolutely teeming with Yanks. They came in in the Aquitaine which is now lying in the harbour.

14th      Nothing of interest to note, went to Capetown and then to Observatory.

15th      Got a lift to Wynburg. Went to the new canteen there. It really is the most luxurious canteen I’ve ever seen. The car in which I got the lift was an Austin Chevrolet. We did 94 m.p.h. on the way! From there I went by bus to Capetown, had dinner there and then came back to Wynburg and had supper there with some South African friends and came back by train.

22nd      Swimming at Muizenburg [AC's spelling]. 


26th      Went to Capetown with Taffy and Mike to take some snaps in the gardens. There we met an old lady who asked us to come and have tea with her. She lived at Victoria Flats. There we had tea and scones and cakes. We listened to her talking for hours. I could have listened longer for she had such a delightful manner and was well versed in anything and everything you cared to mention. She had such personality and a fascinating voice. I didn’t feel the time passing. She had ten sons all of whom were away either in the forces or married; her daughter (I presume she only has one) has the highest possible position for a woman in this country, in the High Court of Justice.

The rest of my stay in Capetown was very pleasant, never a dull moment. Ruth L who seemed to adopt me when I arrived took me to see all the places of interest: Rhodes memorial, Kirstenbosch, the Zoo… the list is endless. I don’t think it was a romance. She was older than me and I was very naïve. I seem to have stopped writing dates… until –

14th (Nov.)      We now have orders to pack and get ready to move.

Note: Calendar dates for 1942 bear out AC's retrospective deduction that these diary entries begin in October that year, with Saturday the 3rd, when he went dancing. The Fall of Singapore, however, was much earlier in the year, on 15th February – he may be thinking of another destination/event, and/or he and his comrades may not have been accurately informed, for security reasons.
(26/8/42: Battle of Milne Bay begins: Japanese forces land and launch a full-scale assault on Australian base near the eastern tip of New Guinea...)

No comments:

Post a Comment